Friday, June 21, 2019

New Car Launch: The All-new VW Arteon

Relaxing Roadside CampingAnother 5.30am begin, and one other automobile launch. This time it’s a bit more particular: VW are launching the all-new Arteon at present, this will be the official New Zealand launch of the automobile. Although I’m wanting ahead to seeing this automotive in the flesh, my aim for the day is to have the ability to spell the title properly, with out having to examine. The principle motive I put my hand as much as journey to this automobile launch is the look of the Arteon; with a sleek design and pillarless doors, it appears to be like superb in the provided photographs. But we all know that manufacturer’s images and in the flesh are two different things. It might look great in photographs and solely average in individual. So with no pressure at all, it was off to Auckland to see if this automobile measures as much as the hype. After i got to Auckland, it was completely pouring down with rain - not ideal photo-taking weather.


Green Car Passes WallHowever I knew the Arteon had AWD so all good on that entrance. A fast run-by means of with some VW workers had me liking this car already. 75K. To me this appeared like quite a bargain. Still, the options are only half the battle - the way it drives is what actually counts. Since I used to be late, I had a automotive all to myself. Nothing flawed with that, but each Turmeric-coloured vehicles had been nabbed earlier than I obtained there, and they look superb in pictures. I picked up the final automobile - a white one - and headed out. VW had suggested going to Piha, but the drive was up to us. I was fairly involved concerning the weather, so thought I’d just drive and anticipate a break in the weather (if one even got here) and seize photos where I might. Finally I obtained to drive by means of the new Waterview Tunnel, and headed out to West Auckland.


Driving out of the winery the place the launch was held have been some fairly critical pace bumps, and it tested the car’s suspension out. Let’s say it’s fairly firm, to be generous. Most of the time it was wonderful, however you'll be able to certainly really feel the automotive has some sporty intentions. Performance was the second eye-opener. 206Kw is nothing to be laughed at, and the Arteon will get to 100km/h in 5.6 seconds. Not too shabby. The noise is makes too is kind of good, when you flooring it. I selected Sport Mode a lot of occasions throughout the day, and the engine made a a lot nicer noise - I discovered later it’s a faux noise, however fairly well performed. Sport Mode does firm everything up as you'll count on, and performance is improved yet again. In any mode on full-throttle acceleration there is a few lag off the mark, however as soon as underway this thing can really transfer.


Since my day was driving around Auckland, I appreciated among the know-how in the automotive - particularly the adaptive cruise management and pop-up Heads Up Display. I stopped together with the road and checked out the skin. Within the early photos, I used to be blown away by the look of this automotive. And within the flesh, it seems good too. VW call the Arteon a ‘coupe’ for some purpose, and it has a very rakish rear design (VW says they consider it a Fastback design), but undecided I’d name it a coupe. I completely love the rear guards that bulge out from the body, they look masculine and really suit the car. At virtually 4.9 metres long, that is an extended automotive - and the wheelbase is lengthy, too. One characteristic of the automotive is pillarless doorways, and who doesn’t like that look in a 4-door sedan? They appear cool and are a real talking point.


Rear legroom is extraordinarily generous, your passengers should not be complaining about being cramped up. Popping open the electric boot sees an enormous 563 litres of space, and even more incredibly there’s a full-size spare beneath the cover. My automobile has the optionally available 20” alloys, and the spare is a 20” fitted with the car’s identical size 245/45/20 tyre. The car comes normal with 19” alloys. I took the automotive on a number of twisty back roads, and the AWD and grippy tyres came to the party. Not only is the grip glorious, it turns-in beautifully. A fun, safe drive in a Euro 4-door categorical. Time for images. I was driving past a slightly nice-wanting house, so pulled as much as the gates and hit the intercom button. Would they thoughts me taking some pictures of the VW exterior their home? “No problem” was the reply. Thanks Whakata Country Retreat for letting me use your venue. Time for lunch in Riverhead, and extra automobile-speak with different journos and VW workers at Hellertau Brewery. Great meals and great company.