Sunday, June 23, 2019

Mods And Repairs: Would You Drive A VW?

15 years, still runs PERFECT! I would drive anything older then a 05, I hate the looks of the older VW, except the 88 Rabbit, love that thing a lot. They are excellent machines, no question about it. Personally I'm more of a Subaru/Hyundai/Mazda guy. I do drive one (08 Jetta). It will take a lot to make me buy another VAG car. Everyday my 2000 Passat has 186,000 miles and counting! Some time ago, I drove a friends VW. Needless to say, I went and bought one . Since then I have owned only VWs. I usually drive them for abt 90k miles and then trade for a new one . My current VW is a 2006 GTI with 47k bullet-proof , enjoyable miles on it . The GTI, just like the other VWs I have owned, is a durable, fun-to-drive car. Yes, YES , I will continue to drive VWs! I drive the most is a 71. These cars are great! I can drive almost 400 miles on 3/4 of a tank of gas.. Yeah, I would drive my Volkswagen's. The 71 is my newest, my 65 is my oldest. Oh, am I starting to brag? Yeah, I had a Mk4 GLS 2.0 Jetta and it was a piece of slop, but then I traded up to a Mk4 GLX VR6 and it was a sweet car. Hauled balls, and never gave me a single problem. It got totalled when it was rear-ended by a Suburban with bull bars on the front and got plowed into the van in front of me, but I walked away from it without injury, so hey!


I did not have the dish in a long while; my current husband is a German, so I switched my favorite dish to the Pork Knuckle in sour Kraut - but this will be another lens. An amazing fact surfaces now: I did a bit of research for this lens and I found out that Bill was not exactly truthful to me about the potted hough. He was not using the original recipe but made it up to be simpler. Well, it looks like there are two kinds of recipes for the potted hough, The Scottish recipe and Bill's recipe. So, I tried the original one now, the one that every Scottish recipe site is promoting. I have to admit that Bill's potted hough beats the genuine Scottis recipe. Bill's potted hough is better by far. The use of vegetables makes the broth opaque and the taste is getting close to any vegetable soup you know. The meat getting minced will change the texture and taste into a rather bland cold paste.


The potted hough, the way Bill used to make would still win the contest of potted houghs in Botswana, if it would be ever organized. Hm, maybe it can be a project for the future? Click thumbnail to view full-size Warning! The potted hough can not be kept in the deep freezer. The cold under freezing point destroys the gelatine that came off the bones and kept the hough's firm texture.. Cover with water. Let it simmer for six hours or so. When meat comes off bones easy, add salt and pepper to taste, take pot off the stove. Place solid content on a plate. Use fork to take off meat of the bones in shreds. Place meat shreds into bowls. Take fatty spots off the broth's surface. Pour broth over meat into bowls. Let potted hough set over night. Simmer the meat for six hours or so. When cooked to tender, place shin off the pot.


Remove meat from shinbone. Mince meat and place it back into the pot. Salt pepper to taste. Boil for another 20 minutes. Pour content of pot into bowls. Let potted hough set into firm form. Looking for traditional Scottish recipes? We have haggis recipes, Cullen skink, cranachan, oatcakes, Selkirk Bannock, clootie dumpling, mince and tatties, Scotch broth, cock-a-leekie soup and more. Scottish Stovies, Baked Apples, Venison Stew, Raspberry cranachan, Highland venison casserole with chestnuts, Ham and haddie, Vegetarian Haggis, Potted hough with mustard sauce, and more. Potted Hough at the best places- at The Tongue Hotel -- check the menu, maybe you decide to visit. Let's Burn Something -- recipes for meals that Robby Burns would have loved. Famous Scottish quotes and sayings -- Scottish wisdom and humor - -- Scottish wisdom and humor -- you know when you see it it's Scottish! Scottish humor is very funny for a non Scottish person.


When Scottish people come together -- they like to say the jokes that they already know. If everyone knows the joke then it's at its best. A collection of old Scottish sayings. For auld lang syne, my dear, For auld lang syne. We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet, For auld lang syne. A little bit of disagreement keeps the talk long. Too much agreement kills a conversation. Do you need a recipe for a Scottish dish? There are Scottish food blogs you can check for them. November 30th is an important Saint Andrew's Day celebration in Scotland. The patronage of the saint whose name means 'manly' also covers fishmongers, gout, singers, sore throats, spinsters, maidens, old maids and women wishing to become mothers. Find out who was Saint Andrew and how did he become the patron Saint of the Scottish nation. St Andrew weather -- Och, the weather in Scotland! Check the weather forecast for St Andrews for the next days if you are going to travel -- then take your umbrella and a coat with anyway! Join one of the societies based on various social, political, scientific or artistic society in St Andrew.