Sunday, June 23, 2019

BMW I3 Reviews & Prices

One of the vehicles in BMW’s i subbrand, the BMW i3 succeeds the 1 Series-based ActiveE all-electric coupe. First previewed as a concept car in 2011, the BMW i3 entered production in 2013 as a 2014 model. Power comes from an electric motor with 170 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque. On the pre-facelift i3, range was estimated at 81 miles on a single charge and around 150 miles with the optional range extender. BMW has upgraded the i3’s range for the 2017 model year to 114 miles on a single charge thanks to a larger 33 kilowatt-hour lithium-ion replacing the old 22 kW-hr unit. With the range extender, the refreshed 2017 i3 can travel up to 180 miles. In a 2014 First Drive, we said that the i3 doesn’t have the same fun-to-drive DNA as other vehicles produced by BMW. The car’s handling was sloppy and the front tires didn’t have much grip especially when accelerating. Where the i3 really shines is in its interior. Breaking away from the usual dark and austere interiors of most BMWs, the i3 features a curvy dashboard design, unique eco-friendly seat materials, a free standing display, and a two-spoke steering wheel. Compared to many cars in BMW’s lineup, the i3 is one of the quirkiest, standing out thanks to its polarizing exterior design and flamboyant interior. The larger battery and additional range on the refreshed i3 make it more practical than before on longer drives, especially when customers opt for the range extender-equipped models. Compare to newer EVs like the Chevrolet Bolt and plug-in hybrids like the Toyota Prius Prime, the BMW i3 comes up short in terms of range. When you begin adding in options, the BMW i3’s price also starts to balloon excessively, making it an expensive proposition considering it doesn’t break the 200-mile mark even with its range-extending generator.


They line up on the power lines for the night. They love to raid the cornfields, and I'm sure the farmers hate them. It is common to see a Red-tailed Hawk sitting atop every third or fourth power pole. I imagine blackbirds make good eating. I've seen Red-winged Blackbirds and Brewer's Blackbirds. Santa Cruz Flats are located north (roughly) of Picacho Peak. Picacho Peak is the site of the westernmost battle in the Civil War. I have never tried birding right in the park there, though they often have some pretty spectacular wildflower displays, if there has been enough winter rain. There is a challenging trail to the top there as well. I hiked up to the saddle, and decided that was enough. Not far from Santa Cruz Flats are the water processing lakes for the town of Picacho. I visited there and the most interesting thing I saw was a Greater Roadrunner.


That's a pretty good find. Although they are desert birds, and supposedly common, I don't see them that often. As usual, he was running along the road! I have also seen one occasionally in the Santa Cruz Flats area. My favorite place to bird is along Pretzer Road, particularly at the Evergreen Sod Farm at Pretzer and Tweedy. This is an area where the distances are too great to walk, so you bird from a car. This is called Safari Birding. I can stay in my car and shoot with my huge lens and get birds way out there! Picacho Highway goes south. It always FEELS like I'm going west. When I turn right on Pretzer, it always FEELS like I am going north when I am really going west. You might experience the same thing. Well, I've talked about a number of good places. There are many more, but this has gotten long enough I'm tying Google up into knots, so I think I'd best end it for now. Maybe if Google discovers it has more brawn, I'll add more, or maybe I'll just write another article. Or, if you like, throw brickbats at me.


Yes, Volkswagen finally has brought in a small car. The new babe is named as the Volkswagen Up and is just 11ft 7in long. Right from the rear engine, rear drive, huge cabin space, the fuel economy, and the looks department, the scores well like most of its predecessors. Ulrich Hackenberg director of VW said they had to ditch the "father of the Up". For the company it was back to the basics and out came the front-engine and front-drive hatchback. The car will be available on the roads early next year in three-door form and with a five-door variant which will arrive sometime later. The good thing about the car is it is quite smart and well designed under the skin. The car is a good buy for the usually neglected youth as well as the retired. All the car needs is a bit of kick to make sure that it is not considered like the rest of the boring and sensible small cars.