Sunday, June 23, 2019

Now On The Tee: 2019 Year In Review Part Three

Filipino psychology concepts and methodsFor the first time in three years, I actually have a golf trip planned well in advance and it's looking like it will be something special. There is quite a lot to look forward to in 2019. Lets get to it! This Walter Travis designed gem opened for play in 1922 and features stunning vistas of neighbouring Niagara Falls, excellent rolling topography and phenomenal green complexes, a Travis trademark. I couldn't be more excited about this big change in my life and I'm looking forward to playing in a ton of club events and getting integrated into the membership at Lookout. If any of my readers find themselves in Niagara and want to see what Lookout Point is all about, reach out to me and I'll be happy to host if the timing works. As far as golf trips go, I have one planned and it looks like it will be absolutely epic. In early August, I'll be heading back to Scotland for the second time in three years, with an incredible 15 rounds of golf scheduled over a ten day period. My trip begins with a red-eye out of Toronto and an early, next morning arrival in Glasgow.


I'll meet up with three friends for the "Pre-Trip" portion of the trip and we'll immediately depart for Royal Troon Golf Club on the Ayrshire coast. In 2017, our group stayed at the Marine Hotel in Troon right alongside the 18th fairway but we did not play the course on that trip. The Old Course at Troon has hosted The Open Championship nine times, most recently in 2016 when Henrik Stenson came out on top in a thrilling final round shootout over Phil Mickelson. The par three eighth hole, known as "The Postage Stamp", is one of the most famous and notorious holes in the game. From there, our foursome will head north into the Scottish Highlands, where 36 holes await us at Royal Dornoch Golf Club. The next day, we will head about a half hour north to Brora Golf Club. James Braid laid out the links at Brora in 1891 and I'm a big fan of his after our round in 2017 at Elie, another charming Braid design just outside of St. Andrews.


Brora is known for the sheep that roam and graze on the property and the electric fences that surround many of the putting surfaces to keep them off the greens. The club is a bit off the beaten path, so to speak but I'm a big fan of hidden gems and I'm guessing that our day at Brora will be one of the highlights of the trip. We plan on doing a distillery tour after our round at Brora and we will then wrap up our time in the Highlands with a round on the modern masterpiece, Castle Stuart Golf Club. From there, we will head four hours south and meet up with the other four members of our group in East Lothian. 1 but us "Pre-Trippers" will miss out on that while making the trek from the Highlands. The eight of us will all meet up for the first time after their round and the next day, we'll be playing 36 holes at the phenomenal North Berwick Golf Club's West Links.


North Berwick has long been a "hidden gem" on Scottish golf itineraries and is a favourite of pretty much anyone who visits, with great template holes in a spectacular, seaside setting. It's awesome, it's on great land in a great location, it's a charming, quaint town and it's fun personified. I absolutely loved North Berwick and can't wait to see it again this year. Our final day in East Lothian sees us visit Tom Doak's only Scottish design, The Renaissance Club. After our round, we head north for the final leg of our amazing trip, setting our anchor in the city of Aberdeen. Our first round the next morning is at Murcar Golf Club, another hidden gem from what I'm told. Later that afternoon, we will head a few miles south for a game at Royal Aberdeen Golf Club's Balgownie Course. Founded in 1780, Royal Aberdeen is considered to be the 6th oldest club in the world. I'm also very excited about the following day, where we will play two rounds at Cruden Bay Golf Club.


We conclude this epic adventure with a round at the controversial Trump International Golf Links in Aberdeen. I may not be able to walk when I get back to Canada! I literally can't wait for this trip. I don't have any other trips planned but hope to take some days off work here and there to see some courses in Ontario and in Western New York. On my radar in Ontario would be hopeful first time visits to Redtail Golf Course near St. Thomas, Toronto Golf Club, the nine holes at Toronto Hunt Club, Niagara-on-the-Lake Golf Club and Summit Golf Club, among many others. As far as Western New York, I've long wanted to play Country Club of Buffalo and also hope to visit Park Country Club and Crag Burn Golf Club. The great thing about golf is that surprises seem to come every year. There is absolutely no chance I get to see all of those courses this year but I guarantee there will be other places I get the chance to visit that will surprise and delight. Hopefully I get the chance to play with some of my readers next year.