Sunday, June 23, 2019

VW Introduces E-Golf Touch Gesture Control System At CES

Volkswagen will implement an advanced gesture controlled touch screen to operate the infotainment system in the 2016 e-Golf Touch. The new screen allows a more interactive interface that mirrors the smart phones and tablets. The 8.2-inch-by-4.1-inch screen consists of a home screen on the left and two configurable tiles on the left that can control phone functions, music or any of the other eight available functions. FOLLOW DAILY NEWS AUTOS ON FACEBOOK. The side tiles can also be expanded to the full width of the screen of functions such as navigation or smartphone integration platforms like MirrorLink, Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, according to a release issued by Volkswagen on Wednesday. During this week's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Volkswagen announced that the technology, which was teased during last year's show, would be incorporated into the production model 2016 e-Golf Touch. The e-Golf Touch is one of two zero-emission vehicles unveiled by Volkswagen at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas this week. LEARN ABOUT OTHER VOLKSWAGEN MODELS IN OUR BUYER'S GUIDE HERE. Speaking of the backseat, rear passengers can also connect a tablet to the car's built-in WiFi to control the car's media system and navigation. As part of its push for integration with the world of personal technology, Volkswagen gave the e-Golf Touch the ability to receive, display and even read aloud smart phone notifications. And yes, that includes Facebook. Did you find this article helpful? If so, please share it using the "Join the Conversation" buttons below, and thank you for visiting Daily News Autos.


The next day I got in two rounds at courses in different states. First was 18 holes at the Course at Yale, where I had the distinct pleasure of playing with 11-time Yale club champion Bill Lee and his friend Gerry. Yale is a MASSIVE golf course, with a scale that rivals places like Bethpage Black. Conditioning was an issue due to heavy rains and a subsequent heat wave but the course is a marvel. I played like absolute garbage but you still couldn't wipe the smile off my face that morning! STANDING in the middle of the 5' high depression! I then made an hour long drive back into NY State and Scarsdale, just minutes down the road from Winged Foot, to play the A.W. Tillinghast gem Fenway Golf Club. Fenway isn't as well known as many of the courses I've played but I'm sure the club is fine with that!


They continue their restorative efforts with Gil Hanse, one of the hottest architects in the business right now, leading the way. I whipped around Fenway as a single with a caddy in about two hours and it was a great experience and a lovely course. Much more on Yale and Fenway in future blog posts as well! The lovely par three 17th hole at the A.W. Boy, I'll tell you one thing that's next. I have a hell of a lot of course profiles to catch up on! The golf season is definitely winding down and in about a month and a half I'll be putting the clubs away for the season. I'll be heading to St. George's next week and hope to bring my camera out for that round. The only other course I'm scheduled to play is Monterra at the Blue Mountain Resort in Collingwood, Ontario. I've never visited the course before and I'll be playing in a business scramble in a couple weeks - about as fun as going to the dentist but I'll do my best to have a good time.


After visiting relatives and taking coffee close by, I found two guys staring at the car. It’s electric, isn’t it? How does that work? New Bedford was a welcome surprise, with a number of slow chargers within the city limits and EV’s zooming around, two Chevrolet Volt II and three Nissan Leaf, one of them belonging to the town hall. No Teslas though. Nevertheless, it was the first place in the US where I felt having an EV wasn’t something alien to the locals. So, with 125 miles to go, after a I95 Freeway trip with A/C on, the last 15 miles were made using the gas engine. Already in Waterbury, I noticed that the car in gas mode behaves like a regular hybrid, once the batteries have a minimum charge from regenerative breaking, it returns for a few seconds to electric mode. You’ve got a funky little BMW! Saving the best for last, this was the trip I enjoyed most the BMW i3. Striking Looks. I already loved the detailed design of the car, completely different from everything else on the road, with a character that reminded me something between Star Wars and an angry puppy.