Audi Q5 owners have reported 30 problems related to steering (under the steering category). The most recently reported issues are listed below. Also please check out the statistics and reliability analysis of Audi Q5 based on all problems reported for the Q5. Tl the contact owns a 2014 Audi Q5. While turning the vehicle, the steering seized. The contact almost crashed into an oncoming vehicle due to the failure. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The manufacturer was not notified. See all problems of the 2014 Audi Q5 . See all problems of the 2015 Audi Q5 . I drove my car early in the morning to church and, on the way home, stopped at a supermarket. It was very cold, minus 15 degrees at the time in bozeman, montana. When I came back to the car to start to go home, there was a very loud alarm and a warning - steering defective - unsafe to drive. I turned the car off and tried to restart it and the same loud alarm and warning occurred. I waited 5 minutes and tried again and got the same result.
I got the car towed to my nearby Audi dealer to be fixed. Then I did some research and saw that this steering issue is a real problem with Audi Q5 and sq5, but only the sq5 has had a recall. Apparently there is a lot of controversy about this problem, sometimes requiring a steering rack replacement and other times software. In any event, Audi knows abut this dangerous problem. What if I was on the highway with my baby grandson in the car? I discovered a lot of very negative info on the Audi world forums dating back as far as early 2016 concerning the 2015 sq5. Same seems to be the problem with the Q5. Apparently on transport canada's website the sq5 steering has been recalled, but not the Q5. In light of the emissions scandal in which the car company (Volkswagen) deliberately deceived on emissions, I am thinking that they are a rather untrustworthy company from which to buy a car. I will get rid of mine for safety's sake as soon as I can! I have not heard from them since early this morning.
I tried to reach the service area for an update, but as yet have not heard back. I have 4 months left on my warranty. And the car has less than 12,000 miles on the odometer. The steering locks-up and is extremely hard to turn in either direction while driving. The same condition exists in the stationary position. It was an unusually cold day (-14 degrees) in michigan. I had been driving the car earlier that day without incident. Notchy steering when driving. Noticeable during both city and highway driving, however it is more noticeable during small turns such as changing lanes on the highway. Occurs on both left and right turns. Issue is ongoing and can be dangerous as notchiness can cause unexpected over steering. Not sure if I should add this but this is a wide issue across my searches. See all problems of the 2013 Audi Q5 .
Tl the contact owns a 2011 Audi Q5. While driving 30 mph, the contact smelled a fuel odor. The contact pulled the vehicle over and shut off the engine. The contact attempted to restart the vehicle, but was unsuccessful and the check engine indicator illuminated. Also, the electric power steering warning message appeared. The vehicle was towed to the contact's home. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified and did not assist. The failure mileage was unknown. See all problems of the 2011 Audi Q5 . Steering defective. Do not drive vehicle. This message came up as soon as I started the car from a parking lot. Towed it to Audi dealer. They found that its an Audi issue. Defective steering rack. Replaced it. I was driving my car on a city street and the red light came on. It was very hard to move the steering wheel. Thank god I was on a low speed limit street.
I got very scared and slammed on the brakes to avoid the accident. Tl- the contact owns a 2013 Audi mobility-q5. The contact stated that the steering wheel locked up and a message on the vehicle dashboard illuminated saying "do not drive". The vehicle was taken to ray catena Audi of freehold, NJ 3561 u. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed the contact that they would not cover the expenses of the vehicle repair because his warranty had expired. 30000 miles. Drove it for 120 miles, turned car off at rest stop. Started car and an error indicator "steering defective, do not drive" appeared. Steering wheel would not turn. Repair shop diagnosed the problem as a failed steering assembly and noted that this issue was a recall item on the Audi sq5 but not on the standard Q5. They explained that if I were driving the vehicle at the time of the failure that it would have been very difficult to steer the car to safety.