Chrysler has been under investigation by the NHTSA for more than 55,000 warranty claims for Steering problems with Dodge Intrepid, Chrysler Concord, 300M, LHS and Eagle Vision vehicles and 1,450 reports of steering control problems. Some including complete loss of steering control with 1993-1996 models, reported as of 1999 alone. These statistics do not include 1997 and second generation models (1998-2004) and does not include LH vehicles that may have been brought in for warranty service, where a Chrysler dealer claimed to be 'unable to duplicate' a steering related problem. Furthermore, this report also does not include consumers who may have experienced failures under 36,000 miles past the 3 year factory warranty period, (3 years/36,000 miles whichever comes first). We believe that Chrysler has actively concealed the defect from consumers while deliberately misleading the NHTSA about the defect resulting in the NHTSA closing this defect investigation. Chrysler has had nea rly 10 years to properly address and correct these common problems while Chrysler's patch attempts or attempts to put a 'band-aid' over this defective steering design have failed. This is probably why the standard throughout the industry has been an end take off Rack and Pinion steering system. Chrysler did not to follow an industry standard which is far safer and much more reliable. Chrysler has a history of not following safer industry standards as it has done in the past with unsafe Gen3 Seatbelts, unsafe liftgate latches and lack of brake shift interlock on some vehicles. The location of the steering assembly, located in a high temperature area behind the engine, right above the transmission or 'transaxle' could also contribute to or accelerate these failures. The fact that in another bandaid attempt Chrysler revised the Inner Tie Rod Bushings to be more durable and heat tolerant could suggest this. 1200 for replacement when beyond warranty.
It’s still stylish, save for its cloudy headlights, and so cheap to run. I’ll miss it when I get that V8 Vantage. A week’s touring in Cornwall in a Mazda CX-5 a few years ago left me sweet on the model. Composed, connected, comfortable - it was everything a tall, portly SUV shouldn’t be. Being the former owner of a Eunos, I swear I could even feel a hint of that little sports car’s snicketty gearchange. Wise choice, Mr Saunders. I know what you’re thinking: this is a feast of cars and I’ve brought a bike to the table instead. I’ve got excuses. First, the only new thing for months at our place is this 750cc Honda off-road/scooter ‘crossover’, called an X-ADV. Second, it’s one of the few motorcycles with a car-like, six-speed dual-clutch gearbox. Scooters usually have CVTs but this has four riding modes and can also do manual shifting. Third, my new Honda’s aluminium parallel twin-cylinder engine is, in effect, half a Honda Jazz’s, which saves Honda the trouble of finding new bore, piston, conrod and valve sizes, new combustion chamber shapes, cam drives and all the rest.
And it’s slower-revving and miles torquier than most bikes so it’s easier to use. Best, it’s the perfect adjunct to an off-the-wall car. It deals with traffic like nothing, other than another bike. You can park anywhere in London for a quid. You never miss meetings. Your other half can go on the back. You’ll get 75mpg. And if you do take to a motorway, there’s plenty of poke to cruise with the traffic-jammers. Meanwhile at home, your four-wheeled flashmobile (wonderful to drive but not good at traffic) awaits a time when you can enjoy it properly. I’ve always wondered why more car owners don’t spot this advantage of motorcycle ownership. With something like my Honda, it stares you in the face. Well impressed with JB’s dropped black Lupo, looking dead classy on its big disc wheels. The base car looks more modern than it is, too, which makes modifying one so worthwhile. JB says his next job is to fit GTI-style twin centre pipes, which will really set it off.
Winter’s coming: what sillier time to be thinking of owning a Mini Moke. Nothing steers better, the lightness makes even 848cc performance seem okay and the 10in wheels look terrific. My 1999 Lupo is the first car to bear my name on its V5. I bought it on a whim for £300 six months ago after a trip to Wörthersee, the big European VW GTI meet. The Lupo has been lowered a fair bit. I’ve not measured how much, but it’s at least 5in, on one of the lowest settings of the surprisingly supple-riding KW Variant 1 coilovers I’ve fitted. I’ve had no issues with grinding the bottom of the car on bumps, nor the wheels rubbing. I’ve been very sensible in my insensibility. The inside is rather shabby, so the big project left to do is a full retrim in cream leather, with cream carpet, making it feel a bit less budget than present.