Sunday, June 23, 2019

Mods And Repairs: What Does SE Mean?

Which VW should I get? So I've heard that Volkswagen's are great cars. They're not very common where I live but my cousin has one and absolutely loves it. I've found 2 in my area. One is a 2001 1.8t Jetta with 38k miles. The other one is a 2002 1.8t GTI with 46k miles. Both are manuals with decent interiors. They're also the same price but am not sure if there is much of a difference from the sedan as opposed to the hatchback. Is one a better choice than the other? Or should I not even bother with either one? Congrats on your decision to buy a Volkswagen. You've taken your first step into an amazing and beautiful new world. Both cars are excellent and fun to drive. However there are a few differences between the two. Obviously the Jetta is a sedan with four-doors while the GTI is a hatchback with two-doors.


While both have the same 1.8 turbo charged engine, there is a major hp difference between the two years. In 2002, Volkswagen reprogrammed the computer chips in the 1.8t's to give them 30 more hp. So the heavier Jetta only has 150hp to the lighter GTI's 180hp. That being said, I'm sure the GTI has been driven a lot harder than the Jetta, therefore increasing the probability of having more mechanical issues. Make sure you have a mechanic you trust take a look at both of them to help guide your decision. As far as maintenance goes, having owned and driven several Volkswagens myself, I've never had one break down on me. The horror stories you hear about people's Volkswagens breaking down in greatly exaggerated. Personally I would go for the GTI. I own one myself and have a blast driving it. While the Jetta is a great car also, I don't have the need for a 4 door sedan.


Plus in your case, that 30 extra hp makes a big difference. Hope that helps you out some and enjoy! They are decent cars, but they are very expensive to repair and maintain. Jettas are basically GTIs with a trunk and two extra doors. The engines and transmissions are identical; the GTI has more horsepower than the Jetta. They can be good cars and will hold their value well when kept up, i.e., regular maintenance. Insurance is likely to be higher on the GTI due to its sporting nature. Used GTIs are often cars that were driven hard, so have a mechanic check it out before buying it. If you need four doors, the Jetta will be just as much fun to drive. Don't believe the myth about VW's costing more to maintain than other cars. One thing you might consider is looking for a car with a 2.0 engine instead. The 1.8t is "t for turbo" and that could become an expensive replacement part in about 80k to 100k miles. I love the 1.8t (have driven a dozen of them), two family members own Beetles with that engine, but I prefer the 2.0 for its proven longevity.


My 1st sports/performance car was a 1986 VW GTI. I drove this car for 14 years and 190K miles. NEVER let me down. It had a 1.8 engine that was pure uncomplicated joy. Sold above to get a 2000 VR6 GTI: waay more power! It too proved to be bullet-proof reliable. Never once cost me a dime to repair ANYTHING. Six durable years later, sold it to buy a 2006 VW GTI. Its proven to be the best car of all. RPMs screaming like a chainsaw and heaving the little hatchback to 60 MPH in 6.8 seconds flat! Four years and 46K joyous and ultra-reliable miles later, I believe it to be as solid as the other VWs Ive had the pleasure to own. Myth of expensive to maintain BUSTED! NO problems with turbo or anything else. Jetta and GTI basically similar mechanicaly, just different body styles. Boths these dubs will proove realible, but on a power to weight ratio, the golfs gonna be the quicker and prob the more visually appealing one to consider. Cars that claim as low milege as this usually maintain dealer stamps, thus having milege recorded on system.