Tuesday, December 3, 2019

2019 Volkswagen Jetta Fares Better With Feds In Crash Ratings




Volkswagen is hitting all the high notes with its redesigned-for-2019 Jetta. The new sedan costs less than the outgoing model and boasts better fuel efficiency, and today the automaker announced some safety news that further heightens its appeal. The sedan earned a five-star safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. That鈥檚 despite the Jetta failing to snag an award from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, held back by its headlights. The 2019 Jetta scored well in the agency鈥檚 front, side and rollover crash tests to earn a cumulative score of five stars, the highest rating. The Jetta鈥檚 closest competitor, the 2020 Toyota Corolla sedan, hasn鈥檛 yet been tested by NHTSA. Another main rival, the 2019 Honda Civic, also received five stars. In IIHS testing, however, the Jetta鈥檚 headlight evaluation prevented it from earning Top Safety Pick or Top Safety Pick Plus status. Although the sedan received scores of good in all of IIHS鈥?crash tests and earned a top score of superior in front-crash prevention, the Jetta鈥檚 marginal-rated headlights held it back from the top awards. IIHS has not yet rated the 2020 Corolla sedan, and the 2019 Civic sedan鈥檚 headlights received a poor rating. Cars.com鈥檚 Editorial department is your source for automotive news and reviews. In line with Cars.com鈥檚 long-standing ethics policy, editors and reviewers don鈥檛 accept gifts or free trips from automakers. The Editorial department is independent of Cars.com鈥檚 advertising, sales and sponsored content departments.





I really wish I wasn't one of the few affected by this transmission problem because this is such an awesome car. I picked up the car on September 5th, 2018. I had always noticed a soft noise while accelerating, but by the time I brought it to the dealership in December (with almost 2000km), the noise got much worse. It sounded like a harsh 2-second growl when changed from 4th to 5th gear. The dealership assured me that there was no safety concern, and that it was a "small glitch" when the transmission clutch engages and disengages. I was told to be patient because Volkswagen was releasing a software update to correct the timing of the clutches. The noise got worse --literally every week-- so I brought it back to the dealership. The loud growl got louder, and now there is a CONSTANT growl/grind while driving. There is also a vibration under my foot (on the gas pedal) that pretty much shakes and echos the entire car.





Same result at the dealership. So I went to another dealership for a second opinion. They contacted Tech-Line / Head Office. Again, they assured me that the software will be released soon. A few days ago, I got a call from the dealership saying that Volkswagen has basically 'closed my case' and will not be looking into this matter anymore because the transmission is not being damaged. I am totally disgusted with VW service. This is a brand new car and the noise is embarrassing. The first year with my new car should be the happiest, yet I've been arguing nonstop for months. There is no way that my transmission is not being affected by the noise and vibrations. I purchased my 2019 Volkswagen Jetta SEL-Premium brand new. The 8 speed automatic transmission emits a grinding noise that sounds metallic when up-shifting under normal or light acceleration. Vibrations and resonance can be felt in in the accelerator pedal and floorboard.





As soon as I got the car, I noticed that there is a grinding noise when the car speed is around 45 km/Hour (30 miles/hour). Took it to the dealer and I was told that it is the turbo. They did not even take it for a drive. The noise happens when the car is on Eco or Normal mode. They did not document the issue so I will be looking into going to another dealership. THE NEW 8-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION MAKES A LOUD GRINDING/BUZZING NOISE AS IT ENGAGES INTO 5TH GEAR. THIS CAN BE HEARD AS THE VEHICLE IS ACCELERATING BETWEEN 30-40MPH IN THE 1200 - 1500 RPM RANGE. THE NOISE CAN EASILY BE HEARD WHEN THE VEHICLE IS ENGAGED IN "ECO" MODE AND "NORMAL" MODE; BUT MUCH LOUDER IN ECO MODE. I recently bought a 2019 Jetta S with 8 speed auto and having the same grind/gurgle type noise at 30 mph.