Sunday, January 5, 2020

2019 Volkswagen Jetta S Is Fine, And That鈥檚 Fine




When I first jumped behind the wheel of the 2019 Volkswagen Jetta S, I wasn鈥檛 expecting much. Those cars certainly have a place in the automotive world 鈥?and in a lot of driveways 鈥?and there鈥檚 nothing wrong with that. We鈥檝e all got somewhere to be and need a means by which to travel. But such vehicles tend to blend together after a time. Despite Volkswagen鈥檚 big advertising push, the Jetta was in danger of being lost in the mix. Until I hit the accelerator. I always appreciate the VW logo, no matter what vehicle it鈥檚 on. Under the hood of the 2019 sedan sits a 1.4-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine capable of 147 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque. While those numbers aren鈥檛 mind-boggling, they combine to give the Jetta plenty of go power, and enough to make the driver smile. I found myself flexing the engine more than I typically would in a commuter car.





The turbo lag was minimal and provided a much zippier feel than I expected, which made for a good driving experience I was eager to experience time and again. Rather than an edgy design, Volkswagen went for an understated look with the 2019 Jetta. Another benefit of that 1.4-liter engine is its ability to use tiny amounts of fuel. The EPA estimates the 鈥?9 Jetta will average 30 miles per gallon in the city and 40 on the highway 鈥?thanks, in part, to an eight-speed automatic transmission. For the first two days I drove the car, I was worried the fuel gauge was broken. I had been putting my foot into it plenty (and have a 50-mile roundtrip commute) but the needle never flinched. It wasn鈥檛 until I parked at the office on the third day of my loan that I saw the fuel level drop a small amount.





I averaged nearly 38 miles per gallon in the week I had the sedan and I鈥檓 sure I pushed it more than the average driver. It will be interesting to see how consumers respond to the subtly designed Jetta as more automakers add flair. Once you move past the engine, the Jetta is simply a basic commuter vehicle. The redesigned exterior features LED head and taillights and carries an air of refinement, something Volkswagen said was intentional. 鈥淩ather than adding needless flash, the Jetta has been redesigned for a tasteful, more premium look and feel,鈥?the car鈥檚 description read. The hood styling is shared with the Passat, which gives Volkswagen鈥檚 two sedans a nice continuity when parked side by side. The interior of the S was fine, but I would have loved to see the higher level trims part of VW鈥檚 ad campaigns. I drove the S trim version of the Jetta. It鈥檚 the lowest trim level offered. I was a little disappointed by this given the aforementioned push about the interior redesigns. The Titan Black Cloth interior was comfortable enough and looked nice, though nothing made it stand out from competing vehicles.





The sound system worked and sounded decent. The gauge cluster had an uncluttered appearance, something I always appreciate. Basically, the interior was fine. But if I were in the market for a Jetta, I would seriously consider stepping up to one of the four higher trim levels. For the right dollar amount, you can get leather seats, a panoramic sunroof, a Beats audio system, an ell-electronic gauge cluster, a bigger touchscreen鈥?the list goes on and on. I don鈥檛 know if I鈥檓 sold on the SEL Premium, the top trim that comes loaded with options. The Jetta has five trim levels that offer quality options without jacking up the price too high. Overall, the 2019 Jetta does what it鈥檚 meant to: Provides commuters with an affordable car that will get them where they need to go without using a lot of gas. The ride and interior are comfortable, though not exceptional. The exterior styling is understated but handsome. Where the Jetta rises above the competition is the engine. It鈥檚 peppy enough to rescue what otherwise would be a rather mundane car 鈥?at least as far as the S trim goes. Maybe VW should focus on that in the ads instead of ambient interior lighting.





Though additional parts and accessories may be attached upon purchase, coverage does not extend to sensors, switches, cables, electronics, belts, hoses, water pumps, or manifolds, nor damage caused through overheating or improper lubrication. We can ship anywhere in the 48 contiguous U.S. We do not require a core charge or a return of the old part or engine. Our discounted shipping prices already include a FREE Liftgate service to any residential or commercial location without a loading dock. 100 when you buy the part from a nearby location. The more local you shop, the more you save off the shipping cost. You may return any item in its original condition for a full refund within 30 days of receipt of your shipment, less shipping charges. It typically takes us approximately 3-5 business days to process a credit back to your account and 2-3 business days for the credit to appear on your account. If a part is defective, we will replace it 100% FREE. All returns and cancellations may be subject to shipping charges, unless caused by our error or cancelled by the customer prior to shipping.