If you are having problems with your vehicle's power steering, you more than likely have a leak. Be it a slow or fast leak, it should be fixed as soon as possible. You may, however just be low on power steering fluid. You should check all the fluids in your vehicle regularly. If your notice one day that your power steering starts whining and slowly get worse over a few days or weeks, you most likely have a slow leak. If all of the sudden your power steering goes out, then you may have a blown seal. Or you may have a leaky power steering pump. You can visually inspect the power steering lines. If you need more help finding your leak click on this link to view my other hub. If you determine that you have a slow power steering leak you may be able to do a quick fix.
Visit your local automotive parts store they should have a power steering stop-leak. Add the stop-leak to your power steering and fill any remainder with power steering fluid until the fluid level reaches the "full" point, do not overfill! Sometimes a seal can begin to deteriorate and some stop-leak can fix it. Eventually you will probably need the problem professionally fixed. Like I said this would be a quick fix. If you have a very slow leak adding the stop-leak and topping off the fluid may last you a while. If you determine that you have a fast leak you should have a mechanic take a look. As I stated above you can visually inspect the lines yourself and you may find that you just need to replace the line. You can get a replacement line at an auto parts store, replacing the line should be self explanatory or you may want to have a pro do it.
Either way you should have the problem professional inspected and fixed as soon as you can. You may be able to solve it temporarily, but eventually you may find yourself turning right, losing the power steering, and side swiping another vehicle. Depending on the size of your vehicle you may or may not be able to control it without power steering. Power steering issues are certainly not something you want wait to get fixed. Driving without power steering is possible, but difficult. It should not be considered "safe" but it will get you to the garage. And a slow leak can have a quick fix, but should be serviced soon. If you are having power steering problems, you can do without temporarily, but you should get it serviced as soon as you can! Auto Parts Warehouse offers Replacement Auto Parts, Performance Parts, Car Parts and Auto Accessories at wholesale prices. Do It Yourself Auto RepairAutomotive Equipment-auto shop machinery and equipment- 4-5 gas engine analyzers or analysers. Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account. 0 of 8192 characters usedPost CommentNo HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked.
Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites. I have a 99 Toyota Camry, and the other day I noticed something leaking under my car beside my front drivers side tire towards the middle. Small drips but they continued over a few days. Saw that I was at the MIN line for COLD on my power steering fluid, which is odd because I just got an oil change a month and a half ago and they saw no issue with low fluid. Does it make sense that I'm low on the PS fluid but yet I have no whining noise on my wheel, and that it's very easy to turn? Just wondering if I can go until the end of the week driving it , because i cant get in to get it looked at until then. And has this ever happened to anyone else? Glasgow Not John over at Carntyne please very unhelpful and rude. The fluid is leaking through the sensor and is coming out where the wire connects to it can I plug the sensor to stop it until I can replace it or will that affect the engine idol.
It is a 96 fairmont Ghia. 69 ford f250. my power steering pump and gear have been replaced, but the power steering doesn't work when going straight or on the highway. Shit you think that's bad. Dealer failed to put oil in it.. 1992 Cadillac El Dorado Doral decided to have a power steering fail.. 12 am everything was fine.. 30 days later and my power steering shut off while I was driving twice! I had been going 70 on the interstate! My baby and my little boy were in the car with me too! I'm not sure the dealer was totally honest with us when we bought this car. What could be the problem? I have a 97 gmc yukon with a power steering leak. I changed the pump, the pressure hose, power steering box. Still leaking from a pressure switch. That part they don't make any more and the only thing i need is the seals for that switch. They say there is a by-pass kit for that but can't find it. Hi, I have a 08 Chrysler Sebring.